The Five Steps to Holiness – As Shared by Our Lady of Medjugorje
On a visit to Medjugorje, I was listening to one of the visionaries talk. She reminded us all that our Blessed Mother shared five stones to holiness. I was fascinated by the clear and simple instructions that carried with them so much grace. Here are the five steps and the quote, as heard through the visionary:
- Pray the Rosary: “Pray, pray, pray. Prayer is the basis of peace.”
- Fast: “Let the people perform strict fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays, except the sick.” “The best fasting is on bread and water.”
- Read the Holy Scripture every day: “You have forgotten the Holy Scripture.”
- Confess once a month: “In confession, many blessings are received.”
- Attend Eucharist (Holy Mass): “The Holy Mass is the highest point of prayer.”
On one of my pilgrimages to Medjugorje, a friend looked at me and asked if I was going to start fasting on bread and water because it was Wednesday morning. I looked at her with a puzzled gaze and thought, “I don’t know yet.” She quickly continued before I could say anything, “You are going to say ‘NO’ to our Blessed Mother?” I immediately said “YES” and went to grab a piece of bread and a glass of water.
It is not always easy to say “YES” to Mary. However, the graces that flow from that “YES” are supernatural.